The Latina/Latino Studies Department at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign is pleased to announce the LLS Undergraduate Research Award. This award recognizes exceptional undergraduate research and/or critical analysis in the field of Latina/Latino Studies.
- Any current undergraduate student at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign is eligible to apply.
- All disciplines/majors are encouraged to apply.
- Research must be relevant to Latina/Latino Studies.
- We encourage students to submit papers between 12-20 pages. Papers over 20 pages will still be eligible for the award. Eligible papers must be of professional quality (i.e., grammar and spell-checked, proper citations, copy-edited, etc.).
- The award is in the amount of $500. Award money will be deposited in prizewinner’s student account and must be used for educational purposes.
To apply, email your research paper to Marisol Hughes (email@example.com) with “LLS Research Award Application” in the subject line. Only one paper per student will be accepted. Applications will be evaluated by the LLS Research Committee; however, substitutions will be made if a member of the evaluation committee directed an applicant’s research paper as either an advisor or professor of a class for which the paper was written. If none of the applications meet the high academic standards of the LLS Department, no award will be given. The prizewinner will be notified in April.
Papers should be submitted to Marisol Hughes (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, April 14, 2023, 5pm.
Past award recipients
Adriana Serrano Matsumoto, 2023
Lydia Alvarez, 2021
Nailene Gonzalez, 2020
Samantha Contreras, 2019
Cindi Camacho, 2018
Gabriela Garay, 2017
Ariana Adkins (honorable mention), 2017